Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Book Connection for the Beginning of the School Year

I am really trying to build my collection of trade books that have a math connection.  One of my new favorites is Stuart J. Murphy's Tally O'Malley.  It is short, simple, and has cool ideas for family involvement with math!
The book basically follows a family, The O'Malley's, while on a family road trip. To help pass the time, they play the tally game. LOVE IT! I remember playing something similiar with my family...I Spy! This just has the symbolic representation of numbers added to the game. Brillant!  At the end of the book, the author has a few suggestions for home and school connections. What really caught my attention though was the very last picture pages:
I'm thinking that I can spin this idea for my classroom-
  "My Summer Vacation"------------> "My 3rd day in 3rd grade"
                        - Family Pics-------------> students, teachers, other staff (drawn)
I will have 1 or 2 "getting to know you" questions that they are going to tally for the third day of school. Students can then choose which one they would like to add to this poster (i.e. How many sisters/brothers/pets, What kind of pizza toppings,etc.). 

I am planning on:
1. Creating an enlarged chart ahead of time to help organize this information. 


2. Giving each student a post it note to write their name on to help organize and tally information at the end of the activity.


-In the book the mother sets a time limit of 20 minutes...I have 3rd graders so I'm thinking of an activity that would involve post it notes and last for 10 minutes max.

Any suggestions for other items to tally? 
What are your plans for the "nth" day in your grade?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kid's Math Talk, LLC!

Welcome to Kid's Math Talk, LLC!
My name is Desiree and I am super passionate about math education and best practices for students and their teachers. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...