Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Starting an Interactive Notebook!

Kid's Math Talk Steps to Starting 
an Interactive Notebook


Sometimes with all the posts on IG and Pinterest, it seems like I wouldn't be considered a "21st century" elementary teacher if I weren't using this interactive notebook idea in some fashion in my classroom.

I actually have been using them for years and love using notebooks as a record of learning for the teacher and student. Even better than this is that by the end of the school year, students are really treating their work with pride and will view the notebook as a prized possession! 

I can also incorporate something into the day that kids love doing - COLORING! 

Of course the coloring always has a purpose within the activity we are putting in the notebook, but who doesn't love to get out that box of crayons every now and then!

There are so many resources and best practices for interactive notebooks in social media now that it can become a little overwhelming. After reading many blog posts and articles on the interactive notebook concept and finishing my latest teaching product devoted to math interactive notebooks, I decided to make this quick graphic to starting an interactive notebook in the elementary classroom. 






Steps #1 and #2 are important to remember so that you don't get overwhelmed with all of the prep and upkeep in the middle of the year. When starting to teach 3rd grade 6 years ago, I only did the interactive part with my math notebooks. The next year I added the idea for social studies, then science, and my last adventure with this concept will be ELA. There are so many cute ideas out there, but just because it's available doesn't mean you have to take it all at once. Spread it out and keep it small to save your sanity!

Step #3 is my personal favorite - not every great idea you have in your head will be great in reality. This is especially true if this is your first time attempting an interactive notebook. Just keep this F.A.I.L. mantra in your mind and know that the first attempt in learning often leads to awesome creations and pages in the future!

Step #4 - Here are the easiest ways for me to stay organized with my interactive notebooks...

And last but actually the most important...HAVE FUN! This idea is meant to get students and teachers excited about subjects and standards! Bring in your creativity and your strengths to the notebook idea and it is sure to be a success!

Leave a comment to let us know how you are using notebooks and what your best tip is for maintaining them in the classroom!



Check out my interactive notebook MEGA PACK 

for the 3rd grade Operations and Algebraic Thinking Domain!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kid's Math Talk, LLC!

Welcome to Kid's Math Talk, LLC!
My name is Desiree and I am super passionate about math education and best practices for students and their teachers. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...