Wednesday, February 21, 2018

I am privileged to be on vacation only a week after the Parkland shooting, and in Florida no less. I am privileged to only have to think about the warm sun on my face and the relaxing days ahead of me. I am privileged to be able to say that nothing tragic like a shooting has happened to my immediate community or family while a community only a few hours away is trying to rebuild and heal after gun violence. For change to happen, I believe that those with privileges must communicate not just with words, but with actions as well. I’ve always tried to stay away from politicos, but the more active I become in the field of education, the more political it seems I need to be. Along with many other educators, I have posted for the #ArmMeWith movement, but I don’t believe that a picture in this case will be worth a thousand words. Actions need to be taken as well. While I cannot speak for any other educator, I can tell you what I am going to do in response to this movement and the immense privilege that I have been afforded. My Actionable Steps: 1. Write my local congress people to inform them of they needs being highlighted by the #ArmMeWith movement 2. Speak on behalf of educators on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C. 3. Stay informed on local movements and educational issues in Michigan and around the county I encourage you to develop your own list of actionable steps that you will take in addition to adding an #ArmMeWith jpeg to your feed.


via Instagram http://ift.tt/2CBk9nl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kid's Math Talk, LLC!

Welcome to Kid's Math Talk, LLC!
My name is Desiree and I am super passionate about math education and best practices for students and their teachers. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...